Thursday, February 07, 2008

Campus under seige

Yesterday, for the second time in a week, our campus had an increased police presence due to an undisclosed threat.

On Tuesday night, I got home from work, logged on to the internet, went to the university homepage to continue working (yeah yeah, I know, I'm supposed to leave the work at the office, but it's just so busy right now), and there, across the top of the page was the red banner alerting everyone to the newest threat. That was supposed to be acted out yesterday. And as far as I can wasn't. Thank goodness.

The police aren't releasing any details as there is concern that could jeopardize the case, but we've been assured and reassured that they will keep us as informed as they can. A lot of people are angry that nothing has been released, but I would rather not know if it means they could catch the person and put an end to this.

Yesterday was a bit creepy. My bus was fairly full, but very quiet. Even the usual rustle of bags and newspapers was conspicuously absent. When I got to campus, it was quiet. It didn't appear too many people stayed home, but the groups that were moving across campus were subdued. There wasn't a lot of chatter, mostly whispers, and I don't think I heard any laughter.

sigh...

1 comment: