Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Our Civic Duty

civic duty
For the second time in just over two weeks, we voted. Not that my vote made much of a difference, but I did vote, so I can complain all I want (or not) about our federal and provincial governments.

I could complain about the cost of both of these elections (one general, one a by-election in our riding), but there's no point.

We of course took Baby J with us when it was time to vote. I remember being very little and going with my parents when they voted. They explained how everyone's vote was private and it could be a secret and you didn't have to share it with anyone, not your mom or dad or sister or brother or husband or wife or child or neighbour. That was why they had to go in a little curtained box to vote. So it would stay a secret. Or you could share your secret if you wanted. But it was up to you. And they explained how important it is for everyone to vote. And because of that, I have voted in every election since I turned 18. We figure while Baby J won't remember these elections (we're back at the polls in just over two weeks and again in six months!), if we start early, hopefully she'll understand the importance of her vote too!

No comments:

Post a Comment