Friday, May 02, 2008

The sideways glares

That's right. Glares.

I haven't really been drinking coffee since we found out the cub was coming. I've been told it's all good and fine to have one or two cups a day, but when I had an aversion to all food except potato chips and ginger ale, well, I stopped drinking coffee all together and never really started again when food stopped being public enemy number one. Coffee is full of acid and acid just adds to the heart burn anyway. Occasionally I'll have a small cup of mostly milk with some coffee for colouring, but it's not a daily thing or even a weekly thing. Maybe once every two or three weeks.

But...I have made a substitute. Hot chocolate with about 1/3-1/2 the usual chocolate in it. I'm not a fan of dairy products...milk is nasty, cheese is (mostly) gross (although lately it's been okay which makes me think the baby will like cheese) and I need calcium. Soooooo the hot chocolate.

And now that the cub has started to stick out and I don't look like I've just been eating too much, well, I'm getting some nasty glares from people. I usually have my hot chocolate in the morning before I leave the house or in the evening instead of tea, but sometimes, usually when I have to be at work early or I'm running late, I dump my hot chocolate into a travel mug and take it to go.

And that's when the looks start. The ones where women (very very very rarely men) look at my tummy, look at my travel mug, look at my tummy and then look me in the eye and give me a disgusted glare. Today was even worse - I actually stopped at the local-seattle-based-soccer-mom-
mega-coffee-shop and picked up a hot chocolate there. In one of their disposable cups (I know, bad Shannon, bad, use your travel mug!).

You'd think I was wandering around with a bottle of wine in a brown paper bag, surreptitiously taking sips on the bus while simultaneously rubbing my belly and fingering the cigarette behind one ear and the joint behind the other, just waiting for my stop to arrive so I could light up.

Sigh...at least none of those people have seen me with my (soon-to-be-banished) Nalgene bottle.

3 comments:

  1. You are so creative naming your baby the cub. When do we see a photo of the cub hibernating?
    P.S. Kevin called Dolan, Moose, before he was born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh....got to love being pregnant! I was amazed at how opinionated people are.

    ReplyDelete