Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Six percent?

Okay, I stole this from Hans' Facebook page...apparently most people will only have read 6 of the books on the list. Hans has read 16 which I think is pretty impressive since most, but not all, were originally written in English which is not Hans' first language.

Thanks for giving me something to blog about Hans!

  1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen - Yes, in high school, university, for my book club and just because I liked the book
  2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien - No...I've read The Hobbit a couple of times, but could never get into Lord of the Rings for some reason
  3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte - Yes - In university
  4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling - Multiple times
  5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee - Yes, many times. I love this book!
  6. The Bible - Yes, most of it actually because I took one class devoted to the entire Bible and its literary influences and one class devoted to the New Testament in university.
  7. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte - Yes, in university
  8. Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell - Nope. I've read Animal Farm though.
  9. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman - No
  10. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens - Yes, this was the first Dickens novel I read and I love it. I read it in high school first, then university twice and at least once, maybe twice, just because I felt like it.
  11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott - Yes! Lots and lots and lots and then once in university for a class and then lots and lots and lots more!
  12. Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy - Most of it. I liked Far from the Madding Crowd better.
  13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller - No
  14. Complete Works of Shakespeare - Not the complete works, but a large portion of them
  15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier - No, but not because I didn't try, many many times! I just couldn't get into it.
  16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien - Yes. I loved it.
  17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulk - No
  18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger - No
  19. The Time Traveller’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger - Yes!!!!
  20. Middlemarch - George Eliot - Yes. For university. I hated it!
  21. Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell - Yes
  22. The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald - Yes, for the first time for my book club.
  23. Bleak House - Charles Dickens - No
  24. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy - No
  25. The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams - No
  26. Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh - Yes. For a university class.
  27. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky - No
  28. Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck - No
  29. Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll - Yes
  30. The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame - Yes
  31. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy - No
  32. David Copperfield - Charles Dickens - No
  33. Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis - Yes, a long, long time ago!
  34. Emma - Jane Austen - Yes
  35. Persuasion - Jane Austen - No
  36. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis - Yes
  37. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini - Yes
  38. Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres - Yes
  39. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden - Yes
  40. Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne - Yes
  41. Animal Farm - George Orwell - Yes
  42. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown - Yes
  43. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez - No
  44. A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving - Tried to many times, but never finished it.
  45. The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins - No
  46. Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery - YES! I think I've read almost all of her novels.
  47. Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy - Yes
  48. The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood - Yes
  49. Lord of the Flies - William Golding - No
  50. Atonement - Ian McEwan - Yes
  51. Life of Pi - Yann Martel - Yes
  52. Dune - Frank Herbert - No
  53. Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons - No
  54. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen - Yes
  55. A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth - No
  56. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon - No
  57. A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens - No
  58. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley - No
  59. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon - No
  60. Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez - No
  61. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck - No
  62. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov - Yes. But it was hard to read.
  63. The Secret History - Donna Tartt - No
  64. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold - Yes
  65. Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas - No
  66. On The Road - Jack Kerouac - No
  67. Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy - No
  68. Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding - Yes
  69. Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie - No
  70. Moby Dick - Herman Melville - Yes
  71. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens - No
  72. Dracula - Bram Stoker - No
  73. The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett - YES!!! I loved this book so much, mine barely has a spine left!
  74. Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson - No
  75. Ulysses - James Joyce - No
  76. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath - Yes
  77. Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome - Yes
  78. Germinal - Emile Zola - No
  79. Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray - Yes
  80. Possession - AS Byatt - Most of it.
  81. A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens - Yes
  82. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell - No
  83. The Color Purple - Alice Walker - Yes - for summer reading at HPA
  84. The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro - No
  85. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert - No
  86. A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry - No
  87. Charlotte’s Web - EB White - Yes...for the first time not as a child, but in Children's Lit. I liked it then, but never got into it when I was little.
  88. The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom - No
  89. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - No
  90. The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton - No
  91. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad - No
  92. The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery - Yes in English and French
  93. The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks - No
  94. Watership Down - Richard Adams - No
  95. A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole - No
  96. A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute - No
  97. The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas - No
  98. Hamlet - William Shakespeare - Yes (Isn't this part of the Complete Works of Shakespeare?
  99. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl - YES!!! I still love this story. Danny the Champion of the World was probably my favourite Roald Dahl book though.
  100. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo - No

I think that's 45/100 plus six that I've attempted or haven't read all of (Complete Works of Shakespeare), but I should qualify that by saying I did do a degree in English Literature.

So, it appears I have my reading cut out for me. There are a bunch of books that I would likely put on my own favourite 100 books of all time...and many on this list that wouldn't be on my list, but that's for another day!

How many have you read?

No comments:

Post a Comment