Saturday, August 22, 2009

A few minutes of solitude

Life with a baby certainly is different from life without a baby. I knew that my time alone was going to be severely, drastically, almost entirely reduced, but it's been a bit different than I thought it would be. I seriously thought the few moments I'd have to myself would be in the shower or the bathroom...but it's been better than that.

Everyone told me and Alex that we had to take time for ourselves, alone, for ourselves as a couple and that we should try to each have time alone with Jocelyn everyday, as well as time as a family. We've done an okay job of that, but the hardest part has been time alone for me. Because Alex still works, it was easy enough for him to get his time alone - he'd leave a bit early or come home a bit late so he could go for a walk, get a coffee, or just sit in the empty office and check his email. Because Alex often works the night shift, getting time alone for me was more difficult. For a long time when Jocelyn napped, I had to nap too. Then when Jocelyn napped I'd take a shower - what progress that was! Now I have no choice, I have to get up before her or shower during her nap because she will not stay in the bouncy chair anymore...but it was great for the first ten months or so!

So today I was feeling a bit frazzled and it was grocery day. Off I went to the grocery store and wow...there I had some me time! I never thought I'd look forward to weekly grocery shopping and see it as "me time"!

Oh the way things change when you have a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment