Thursday, September 17, 2009

Internet Trolls

So, I read Dooce. It's one of my need-to-check-every-day websites. You can find a permanent link over there on the left.

Personally, I think she's an amazing writer (she being Heather B. Armstrong), she's got a good sense of humour and, well, I enjoy reading her site. It might be a bit voyeuristic of me, but I love getting little glimpses into life at in Armstrong household. For the most part I agree with what Dooce has to say, but if I don't, well, I keep it to myself, because really, just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean you're an asshead.

That's right. Because they don't like Dooce or her writing or her t-shirt or whatever, people trolls send her hate mail and call her things like asshead. Well, she's started a hate mail page that is riddled with ads because hey, why not. (I've added a link over there on the left too.)

What I don't get is why, if you dislike someone's style of writing, subject matter, way of dressing, way of raising her children, dogs, house, chin, whatever you don't just STOP READING. No one is forcing anyone to read anyone else's websites. I have no problem with the advertising on the main dooce.com and I think it's a very creative and unique money-making plan to cover the hate mail page with advertising. I enjoy my (almost) daily read and why not have ads, this is her source of income after all. And if you really dislike it that much, why oh why oh why would you waste your precious time commenting or sending an email? Just close the browser and move on already.

Anyway, check out the hate page. You'll be surprised at the people out there...or maybe you won't!

No comments:

Post a Comment