Sunday, September 20, 2009

Step By Step

This post was originally published at Get Fit Chicks. It may refer to posts on Get Fit Chicks that no longer exist. Please email me if you run into any of those and I will break the links. More information about the reposting is available here

So, when I went back to work, I set a goal of an average of 70,000 steps every week (Monday – Sunday). I chose to set a weekly goal rather than daily goal because some days I knew I’d have a lazy day or I’d drive to work or I would just be low for some reason and some days I’d have super excellent wonderful days. And that happened. When we went to the PNE, my total was 18,121 and the next day when Jocelyn was sick and we spent most of the on the couch together I hit 6,225.

10,000 steps is what everyone should be walking in day. Most people reach between 4,000 and 6,000. Around 6,000 steps most people will gain some health benefit as that’s around 30 – 40 minutes of exercise over the course of the day. 10,000 steps should help promote weight loss.

I knew 10,000 a day would be fairly easy to achieve on days when I work – I walk about 3 km before I even get to my desk with dropping Jocelyn off at day care and then walking from the bus stop to my office.

So now that I’ve been back for four weeks, I figured I should check in and see how I’m doing.

The first week I was back, I only wore the pedometer once, so I’m ignoring that week. Week two I averaged 11,767 for a total of 70,601 0ver six days (I forgot the pedometer on Monday); week three I averaged 14,230 for a total of 99,613 and this week’s first five days I’m already at 71,115.

I think I’m going to readjust and aim for 84,000 steps a week or an average of 12,000 steps a day which might mean going for a walk at lunch time which will have double benefits as it will mean I’m not eating at my desk!

No comments:

Post a Comment