Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Good morning January

Well, 2013, you're here. I've been wishing for you for a while, but when I woke up this morning, nothing had changed except the calendar. I guess those changes are up to me and aren't some miracle that happens at the stroke of midnight between December 31 and January 1.

Your good friend 2012 threw a few fast ones our way last year, but we just kept pushing forward. I think, for now, 2012 will stay on record as being the most challenging year of my life (to date). Just when I figured it couldn't swing anything more at me, it mustered up another punch from somewhere and aimed for my head, or my heart.

But we outsmarted 2012. We won because we made it to 2013 and 2012, well, it needs to stay back there in memory land and it doesn't get to move forward. Maybe it's in a perpetual 2012 Groundhog Day. It can stay there.

At our house, and in the homes of many of our family and friends, 2012 dealt out too many servings of heartache, poor health, loss, uncertainty and general misery. But do you know what, we're better for it. Our family left 2012 as a stronger, more cohesive, harmonious, happy unit, despite the challenges the year brought us and some it refused to take with it. And even with the challenges, there were so many joys. We have so much in our lives to be grateful for and yes it was challenging, but remembering how blessed we really are kept us going through the challenges.

So to 2012, thank you for giving everyone in my family strength(s) we didn't know we had, when we needed it (them) most. Thank you for the kindness, empathy, sympathy and warmth shown to us when we needed, when we didn't need it and most especially when we were certain we didn't need it or want it but couldn't do without it. Thank you for reminding us in so many ways to be thankful for the people in our lives and grateful for what we have. Thank you for the challenges, because they made us stronger. Thank you for the constant reminders to tell the people who are important to us just that. That they are important. And to tell them why. And often. Thank you for forcing us to grow and change because that is where we'll find our happiness this year. Thank you for showing us we are resilient and stronger than we ever knew.

And 2013, thank you for being here this morning to offer us the hope of fresh beginnings. Thank you for the happy times we know you hold. Thank you for the arrivals we're eagerly anticipating. Please be gentle to us as you, like every year before you, give us whatever challenges you think we need and as you keep something dear to us when we move on to 2014 (I know, it's still a long way away).

My promise to you 2013? I am going to savour every moment I get with every person I love. I am not going to dwell on 2012, but I'm going to look forward to the wonder 2013 promises. Every morning when I wake up and every night when I go to bed (even if it is multiple times) I am going to remember all that I'm grateful for.

So 2013, give me your challenges, give me your joys. I'm ready for you. This is going to be a good year.

2 comments: