Monday, September 25, 2006

confessions of a multitasker....

I am a multitasker.

Or at least I pretend to be a multitasker, when really I know I do much better (and quicker) work, whatever that work might happen to be, when I sit down and devote all my concentration to one thing.

I made a list yesterday of the things I needed to get done before people started arriving at my house for a meeting...
It looked like this:

shannon's to do list(Mulvi girls - care to guess what kind of soup I made?!?!?!)

Oh, and by the way, I am also a procrastinator.

The two things to do not go well together. Example:

It started off well. I had four and half hours to get everything done, including eat dinner which wasn't on the list. The soup had to simmer for three hours and I logically started with the soup. While I was making the soup I also put the groceries away and had that done and the dishes cleaned up (note, that wasn't part of the list) in about half an hour.

Then chaos broke out. I noticed the newspaper was begging for someone to read it. So I set the timer for 10 minutes and read the paper.

Then I thought, hmm...maybe I should get my report done and emailed off while it's all fresh in my mind. Good plan, except first I kept getting up and stirring the soup and changing the music and then seeing the laundry that needed to be folded and folding one shirt or a pair of pants and then remembering, ooops, I'm supposed to doing my report and then I hit a roadblock and needed some advice from someone else who happened to not be at home.

So, I thought, "Let's get those emails sent." I had another list of who needed an email and what information needed to be included, but I got distracted by the emails my friends sent me and reading Heddy's blog (oh, and that "Next Blog" button is a BRILLIANT way to procrastinate...in case you were wondering). And the laundry.

Then I wandered into the bathroom in search of an elastic for my not-quite-long-enough-yet, but-almost-ready-for-a-ponytail hair. And noticed the sink needed cleaning.

But I ignored the toilet and shower and mirrors...and went back to the laundry. Then I saw the boxes. And I decided I didn't have enough time to deal with them...so I moved them out of the way and in the process found a pile of filing that needed sorting. So I sorted it. Then realized that the report needed to be finished...I could finish all those parts except the one that I needed help with. And then it was only an hour before I needed to be done and the cornmeal muffins take about half an hour to mix and bake. And then there were no eggs...

Anyway, you get the idea. I got it all done...but I think if I'd stopped to do it one thing at a time, I would have had more time left to read the paper...and maybe read those emails from my friends and all that...yeah...

sigh...

That's all...time to stop procrastinating...

4 comments:

  1. mom has taught us all oh-so-well (on how to procrastinate, that is!). must be genetic.

    everyone is sick with the river-induced cold of death.

    wooh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it genetic? it all makes sense now!!

    what kind of soup?

    how was the river, besides cold inducing?

    did jared have fun with your co-workers?

    did you know you're t-6 days from that life altering day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are all three of us terrible procrastinators.

    beef barley.

    the river was fun...not as cold as we thought...the resort was super nice. we had a great time.

    oh YEAH! the countdown in ON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. bingo! beef barely soup...mmmm....

    procrastination central at my house...

    oh well...

    t-5!

    ReplyDelete