Wednesday, September 16, 2009

They Work!

Back in May, we got new blinds. We got honeycombed blinds for all the windows with thermal blackout inside bits for the bedrooms. The idea was that the rooms would be cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Our bedroom has been really warm lately compared the rest of the house. Jocelyn has been sleeping in a fleece sleeper with a cozy comforter and I have been contemplating sleeping standing up in the shower with cold water running over me because it's been so warm in our room.

But last night I had a brainwave.

We sleep with the windows open in both rooms and with the blinds down a bit to let the air in, but Jocelyn's blinds and the blinds in the living room and dining room get opened every morning before I go to work. I don't always open all of Jocelyn's blinds all the way, but they do get opened. The ones in our bedroom don't ever get opened all the way. The small blind on the open window gets put down part way, but that's it - Alex sleeps much later than I do because of when he gets home and so he doesn't really open the blinds.

So last night I opened them all the way and let the room air for about 15 minutes. And what do you know, I could feel the difference in temperature after...

So the blinds do work. They were holding the heat in the room. Too bad it's a bit too early for that! At least this might mean a lower hydro bill this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment