Thursday, December 16, 2010

To the other people who use the road

Dear cars, buses, bikes, and pedestrians,

I'm not a perfect driver or a perfect bus rider or a perfect pedestrian, but I try not to do things to scare other people and make their drives, pedals, rides, or walks to work, school, home, or wherever a constant source of heart palpitations. Maybe you could try to do the same? Most of you are great at sharing the road, but some of you, well, maybe you need a reminder.

Dear cars,

You have these neat new fangled things on your car called signal lights and head lights.

SIGNAL LIGHTS: It's really great if you flip the little lever up or down before you turn so that the cars behind you know what you're doing. Not while you're already turning or when you're done turning, *before* you start turning.

HEAD LIGHTS: It's winter. That means it starts to get dark sometime not long after 4:00. And if it's raining or snowing or just a miserable Vancouver day, it can be dark much earlier than that. It usually doesn't get light until sometime after 8:00. Again, it can stay dark longer if it's raining or snowing or just a miserable Vancouver day. Please turn your head lights on so that the rest of us (other cars, buses, bikes, and pedestrians) can see you. Also, your high beams, those are for when there is no oncoming traffic or traffic directly in front of you. I think it's 100 m. Your high beams shining in my eyes or my rear view mirror don't help things.

In Vancouver we have a few kinds of ways to get through intersections. We have through intersections in one direction with stop signs or lights in the other. We have four way stops. We have through intersections with lights controlled by pedestrians and stops signs going the other way. We have roundabouts. We have intersections with traffic lights in all directions. I'm sure there are other ones too.

Please follow the signals and signs. And watch for pedestrians. I don't like almost getting run over when I'm crossing with the lights. I don't like getting honked at because I'm in the CROSSWALK. I don't like getting honked at because I'm not turning because I'm waiting for a pedestrian to cross the road. WITH THE LIGHT.

And when you're in the roundabout...follow the signs and rules. That means you need to yield to the vehicles IN the roundabout (to your left). Don't honk at me when I'm in the roundabout and you have to wait your turn. Signal when you're going to leave the roundabout so that people waiting to get in can and people behind you don't almost rear end you. Oh and pedestrians? They still have the right of way. Don't try to run them down in the crosswalk or honk at them.

And four way stops? First vehicle to stop has the right of way. If there are multiple vehicles, you yield to the right.

If you happen to drive in the area around the UBC daycare centres and UHill Secondary, those 30km/hour signs are there for a reason. Don't pass all the cars going 30 and then slam on your brakes because you almost hit a child in a crosswalk. Don't go faster than 30. There are lots and lots and lots of little kids around. Little kids and teenagers can be unpredictable. Just be patient (or take another route...people who tend to do these two things seem to be using the road as a way to avoid the centre of campus)

Those are just a few things that are annoying me today about cars...I'm sure there's more.

Dear buses,

See notes to cars.

Also, I know I have to yield to you when you pull away from the curb. And really, I'm happy to do it. I don't want to argue with you...your bus will cause more damage to my car than my car will to your bus. BUT...if I'm right beside you and you signal that you want to pull away from the curb, signal and then pull away, don't just pull away and signal and assume we'll all be able to stop. Sometimes we can't because the car behind us isn't paying attention. Also, if I'm beside you, I might have to keep going because there isn't enough room in front of me for your big bus to fit.

And even though I HAVE to stop, it's nice of you to acknowledge that I DID stop with a little wave.

Dear bus riders,

It sucks to take the bus when it's wet out...mostly because it's crowded and steamy and wet. Please don't shake your umbrella off in the bus. Please don't open your umbrella into the crowd of people waiting to get on when you get off. Wait until you're a safe distance away. Your backpack doesn't need a seat. Your backpack makes a good weapon, so please take it off before you decapitate someone with it as you shove your way through the crowd. Those seats at the front? Give them to people with mobility issues (even if they're not in a wheelchair or using crutches or a cane or some other mobility device) Give them to people with a disability or injury. Give them to pregnant women, people with young children, and the elderly. The fact that you didn't get enough studying done before your exam today doesn't mean that you get to sit there to study. That's what the library is for. Be courteous. Please.

Dear bikes,

You are not glorified pedestrians. Stay off the sidewalk. If you're uncomfortable riding on the road, ride on a bike street or don't ride at all. I don't like almost getting knocked down by you or the near misses my little girl has had.

You are a vehicle. And like cars and trucks and motor bikes and buses, you are subject to all of the laws pertaining to a vehicle (ahem, stay off the sidewalk). You need to stop at stop signs. Don't give me a dirty look when you almost slam into my car that is legally in an intersection because you decided not to stop at the stop sign. Four way stops...those pertain to you too. Stopping for pedestrians in a crosswalk? Oh yeah, that's for you too. Don't stop your bike in my blind spot and bang on my car to tell me you're there. I probably know you're there because some of you are kamikazes so I keep a close eye on you. You could pull up closer or stay a bit further back and avoid my blind spot too...and if I'm stopped, I'm not going anywhere, so don't bang on my car. It scares my daughter.

And you need to turn your lights on. Or get some lights. One light on the back of your bike doesn't help me see you at all when you're coming towards me and you're wearing dark clothes and it's dark out. Reflectors are great, but lights are essential.

Dear pedestrians,

Yes, you have the right of way. Do you also have a death wish? Because a lot of you seem to think you're invincible. You're not. A car is a lot bigger and heavier than you and if anyone "wins" in a car vs a pedestrian, it's not usually the pedestrian.

Please don't j-walk. Especially if you're going to hide between SUVs with tinted windows so I can't see you and then just jump into traffic. Come on. There are street lights and crosswalks for a reason. And most of the worst offenders are only a car length or two from the corner.

Be aware of your space, your umbrella, and the people with you. If you're taking up the whole sidewalk, it's practically impossible for people coming the other way to walk. Don't give them dirty looks when you need to move over so they can pass.

Dear cars, buses, bikes, and pedestrians,

Mostly, please just be courteous and aware of what's going on around you. And be patient. I'm talking to you, black car that zoomed around me when I slowed down because someone was parking. I ended up right beside you at the stop light a block and a half away...it didn't save you a single second! I'll do my best to do the same...I just want to get where I'm going in one piece!

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment