Friday, September 29, 2006

magic scarf and the calming properties of knitting...

So...recently I have found myself picking up my knitting again and fall leavesI once again have multiple projects on the go. The return of the knitting bug seems to have coincided with the return of the autumn leaves.

Yesterday at breakfast, I hauled out some needles and some yarn and started making a scarf. I've decided it's MY scarf. I'm not giving this one away. Yes, I am grumpy. Still grumpy.

Part of my morning routine before I settle in to work is to read Crazy Aunt Purl and see what Laurie is up to. When I first discovered Crazy Aunt Purl (thanks Fiona!), I went back and read the archives because I was so taken by this knitter who also happens to be witty and writes posts that are entertaining, heart wrenching, humourous and delightful. I happened to stumble across the "recipe" for the Magic Scarf and had been mulling it over in my head ever since...so I started my own version of the magic scarf.

my magic scarf
Laurie recently asked for a picture of our knitting spots (Fiona, you should send yours in too even if you haven't picked up the needles for almost a year) and I was amazed when I looked at my camera to see the places I had pictures of my knitting...notice there are four knitting places and three different projects on display (and these are just the places that are actually ON the camera at the moment)!

knitting in the living roomin the living room (and yes, that is a tv!)

knitting in the kitchenat the kitchen table (see the pretty magic scarf in its infancy)

knitting on the busriding the bus

knitting on my desk at workat my desk at work...hmmm...wonder what that's about...

Anyhow, I have come to the conclusion that knitting is beneficial to my stress levels. While I am utterly exhausted today, the panicked state in which I spent most of the week has lifted...and I am sure that's because the magic scarf magically absorbed some of it!

So I need to offer some thanks this morning:
  • to Fiona for reintroducing me to knitting two years ago (cause knitting is saving my sanity these days)
  • to Laurie for the magic scarf (because the project that's saving my sanity is the magic scarf)
  • to Alex for driving me to work when the sun was still coming up and putting up with the grump (okay, that has nothing to do with the rest of the post...maybe if I add "and putting up with knitting at breakfast and dinner for the last two days" it fits better?)

2 comments:

  1. oh yeah, so, you're going to reteach me to purl next weekend...i've forgotten.

    i need a hobby now that it's officially fall.

    stupid cold season.

    WHY IS TODAY GOING BY SO SLOW? i'm leaving early. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. today went by too quickly and too slowly at the same time.

    Sure, I'll show you how to purl again...I know you'll remember once I show you.

    Whatcha gonna make? A kitty blanket?

    mmmm...cupcakes...

    ReplyDelete