Friday, October 06, 2006

knitting WIP/UFOs...a great way to procrastinate...

I had a million things to do today - I was working from home and when work was over, I had dining room furniture to assemble and a house to clean and my family was arriving around 6:00 pm...so, being the procrastinator I am, I decided the first thing that needed to be done was organize my knitting bag...

I found way too many wip/UFOs hanging out in my knitting stuff...I'm actually going to classify them all as work-in-progress except the last one...it can be an unfinished object...since it needs to be completely frogged and redone and well, let's just say it was a bit of a disaster.

WIP #1
A baby afghan that has no intended owner. I think I got bored because I ended in mid-row...One day I will finish this, if only because I need the 6mm circulars to make a grown up afghan just for me. This yarn was an inexpensive massive department store sale purchase...but it came with no list of ingredients...pretty sure it's synthetic, but who knows!

blue baby afghanClose up of the baby afghan detail:

blue baby afghan detail
WIP #2
This pink scarf was intended for a Christmas 2005 gift. I bought something instead. Since it's only October, maybe she'll get it this year. Yarn also purchased the same time as WIP #1 and WIP #3

pink scarf for Christmas 2005
WIP #3
Purple scarf intended for Christmas 2005 is the sister of WIP #2 - same wool, different colour. Also ended up buying a gift because I didn't finish in time. This one has an eyehole in it to pull the other end through...as requested by intended recipient...who has probably since forgotten she requested a scarf or a scarf with an eyehole.

purple scarf for Christmas 2005
WIP #4
Baby blanket #2. This one is so soft and the pattern is my favourite baby blanket pattern from the first Stitch 'n Bitch Book. It's Bernat Baby Boucle and I got it really cheap in Osoyoos. I also picked some pretty purple somewhere else...maybe in k-town in July? Also ended in mid-row...maybe it's a baby blanket thing. It's a lot more blue than it looks too.

soft blue baby blanket
WIP #5
These cool alligators (from SNB 2) were also a gift for Christmas 2005, but Rebecca got these half finished mittens, wrapped up under the tree. I was up until almost 2:00 with Rebecca on Christmas Eve finishing surprise stockings for Mom and Dad and I just didn't have the wrist power to finish her mitts (plus I needed a little bit of sleep)...and my wrists and hands hurt too much to knit again for three or four weeks...then I tried to amputate my thumb. And then it was summer and I just couldn't knit mitts in the summer. So the goal is to have them done before she goes back to k-town after Thanksgiving on Monday.

alligator mittens for punk
WIP #6
I love this WIP...it's my new scarf and I'm not sure how it's going to look because I'm using variegated Patons Shetland Chunky yarn, also made in Canada...so far so good!

new winter scarf for shannon
UFO
This pink sweater was a disaster. It was my first non scarf/felted bag project. I measured. I remeasured. Mama helped me measure. I knit swatches, my gauge was right, Mama checked the gauge. I thought the pattern was a little short for me, so we added an inch and a half to the front and back...no problemo!

HA!

Now I've started frogging my hard work...after making two fronts and a back, which didn't seem quite right, I started the sleeves. Yeah...they would have been about 2/3 sleeves...not a problem, I don't mind that length, but they were supposed to be full length...and they were so tight at the wrist end of the sleeve that my hands would have turned blue, so there was no way the wrist band would fit around my forearm...and the sweater was just too small overall...

I recounted my stitches...all good...I rechecked my gauge...all good...I recounted my rows...all good plus the additional rows we added...I couldn't figure out what I did wrong until I talked to some fellow knitters...who all tried to make this sweater and no matter how they measured, it was TOO SMALL!

I tried to make the medium I think and I have enough yarn for the extra large, so I'm going to try that and hope it works...this yarn is far to soft and pretty to waste and I want to use it for ME!!!

ufo cardigan

No comments:

Post a Comment