Wednesday, December 12, 2007

blog crawling

Upheaval makes me work harder for some reason. I have yet to figure that one out. The only problem is, once I've spent the whole day in high gear, I kick into super low the second I step in the front door. Today I'm trying to pace myself a little better and seeing as I like lists, I have created four lists - two for home, two for work. Each place gets a list for things that must be done before 4:30/10:30 today and a second list of things that it would be nice to get done. It's working. Kind of. The would be nice to get done list wants to get out there in front of the must get done list. It's got some of the more fun stuff on it...or at least it feels that way.

I've found that I'm bad at working straight through for hours on end and that my back hates that too. Every twenty minutes or so, I take a break and wander somewhere: to the photocopier, to the water cooler, upstairs and back down again. Every hour, I give myself a five minute break. Lately that break has consisted of a game of Scrabulous Blitz or a bunch of clicks on the next blog button. Both a great way to waste time, but also a great way to get my focus back.

In my next blog clicking I've noticed a few things (ooh, see, a list!)
  1. there are a lot of crappy advertising blogs out there
  2. there are a lot of people who start a blog, post a test post, and then never post again
  3. there are a lot of blogs that I'm just not interested in
  4. there are a lot of poorly written blogs
  5. there are a lot of well written blogs
  6. there are a lot of blogs covered in inappropriate images for a work setting
  7. people love their kids, dogs, cats, parents, plants and other things and like to share those things with you
  8. That my blog falls into the following categories: 3, 4, 5, 7...Okay, so for the most part *I* am interested in my blog, but *you* might not be. Some of my posts suck, some are pretty good, most fit into the okay category. I don't have pets or kids, but I do talk about myself a lot (which reminds me, someday ask me about the self-absorbed blogger discussion).


I've also read a lot of things lately that make me realize how lucky I am to have the life that I have. The little things that have been driving me nuts for the last few weeks are nothing compared to what some people are going through in their lives. I've found a few blogs that I check on pretty much daily, some through the next blog button and some through the blog rolls on blogs I find via the next blog button. They haven't made it to my list of daily reads yet, but they might. Or might not.

So yeah, my world feels upside down, but compared to what some people are dealing with on a daily basis, I live in a happy place.

And with this crazy, busy, chaotic time of year on us, I am going to keep reminding myself of that.

Happy Wednesday everyone.

2 comments:

  1. So when you blog crawl... are the blogs always in the same order? For example, if I start at my blog will I always see the same blog if I hit the next blog button?

    Thanks for introducing me to another way to spend way to much time at the computer :)

    Michelle

    P.S. I tried it and the next blog after me was all about books...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it changes all the time - there's a lot of crap to click through, but every once in a while you come across something worth reading.

    ReplyDelete