Saturday, November 11, 2006

Lest We Forget

poppiesimage borrowed from cbc.ca

The other day a poll was released that basically said that Canadians have forgotten about Remembrance Day...

vancouver sun remembrance day issueThis morning I went for a walk through our neighbourhood and noticed that a number of stores were closed all day or at least until 11 or 12 (those were the ones that left time for their employees to attend a service or ceremony before coming to work).

closed for remembrance
closed for remembrance
closed for remembranceProbably two thirds of the people I saw were wearing a poppy. I know I didn't have one on today, I lost it...again...and didn't see any poppy sellers or I would have bought another one. It seemed to me that a lot more people were Remembering than were forgetting.

Maybe I have contributed to the idea that we've forgotten about Remembrance Day. This year I didn't attend a service, I didn't hear anyone read In Flanders Fields, but I did spend most of the day reflecting on how lucky I am to have the life I have and how my life is possible in large part because of the sacrifice of so many people...

province remembrance day issue

No comments:

Post a Comment