Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Spring in the city

So, it's obvious to me that spring is here. Not only is it a bit warmer (as in, I put my coat in my bag, just in case it rained, but it was warm enough to just wear a sweater warmer), the flannel sheets have been banished until next fall, flowers are starting to grow. And the Vancouver spring garb has hit the streets!

I was waiting at the bus stop for what felt like an eternity this morning. That bus is never consistent. Either it's there when I get to the stop or I wait fifteen minutes for it...and it's a bus that is supposed to come every 2-3 minutes in the morning. There is an effective way to make the bus come though, and that is to randomly see a friend you haven't seen in a long time. Then the bus will miraculously appear over the crest of the hill to whisk you away before your conversation progresses much past "Hi, how are you? It's been a while." Anyway, the bus is not the point of the story.

The point of the story is what the above friend was wearing, which to me is as much a sign of spring as the buds blooming and the rains retreating. While he refrained from the favoured West Coast footwear of leather sandals and wool socks, he was wearing shorts. I thought it was a little chilly for that, but then I'm always cold. He's a walker and often grows a beard in the winter to protect him from the evil wind that blows across the Burrard Street bridge. While he wasn't in full beard mode, there was definitely more than a few days growth on his face. But what made the outfit the quintessential Vancouver spring outfit was the toque....where else would you see that!

Anyway...spring is here, I got to have a brief conversation with a friend I haven't seen for ages, the sun is out, it's Wednesday so we're half way through the week...it's going to be a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment