Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Who the heck is R.A.B.?

WARNING: IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ALL SIX HARRY POTTER BOOKS AND LIKE TO BE SURPRISED BY TWISTS AND ENDINGS, DO NOT READ THIS.

CONTAINS SPOILERS


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Yeah, I'm on the bandwagon, but I'm not going to write a thesis about who R.A.B. is or isn't, nor will I back up my thoughts with copious, tedious examples from the first six Harry Potter books. In an attempt to calm my brain down, over the course of the past two weeks I have reread the first six Harry Potter books. In preparation, of course, for the July arrival of book seven.

But I have to admit, it is bugging me...who exactly is the mysterious R.A.B.? I have my theory and after rereading the books, I could potentially back up my argument should I ever feel a burning desire to do so. Out of sheer curiosity I Googled "Who is R.A.B." to see what was out there. There were no fewer than 1.2 million hits last time I checked. This is apparently an oft discussed topic. Some of the theories are extremely creative and inventive. Some people have put a lot of thought and time into constructing a solid theory. Some people have theories along the lines of my theory. Other people have theories that have me questioning my theory because while their theories might be totally different from what I came up with, with their back up points, they too are quite plausible. Some people have read a different version of Harry Potter than I have. Some people have okay theories, but they have chosen to ignore a "fact" from the book that totally negates their theory (I think some of these are accidental, but others purposely ignore things). Some people are on crack.

Like many readers, I wish Dumbledore hadn't been killed off and in the back of my mind I hope that maybe he's not really dead, but realistically, I'm sure she killed him. (Incidentally, if you Google "Is Dumbledore dead" you get 517,000 hits).

But now, I have a burning desire to read book seven. And I know I have to wait a while - I think July 21 is the date. That's a long way away.

Maybe I'll reread books 5 and 6 again in the meantime, not just because I obviously haven't read them as many times as I've read the other four as they contained LOTS of stuff I'd forgotten about (or maybe that's because they're SO LONG), but also so that I can hold my own among all those Harry Potter conspiracy theorists. No matter what happens at the end of book seven, I know they'll be hard at work, cooking up plot lines for the next book. A book J.K. Rowling says she's never going to write...

Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment