Wednesday, June 18, 2008

To the people on the bus - Part 2

First of all, maybe I should just stop taking the bus. Then I wouldn't complain so much. Complaining isn't good. Or so I've heard.

Dear people on the bus who sit at the front and don't need to,

Like I mentioned last time, it's uncool to pretend to sleep, study or just not see the people who get on who need to sit down. And I'm not talking about me. How about the guy with the crutches the other day or elderly lady yesterday?

Dear people on the bus who sit at the front and speak in stage whispers,

I can hear you. Especially when I'm only one person away from you. And the only reason I didn't say anything to you was because I was too hot and tired and really couldn't be bothered talking to people like you. And no, I'm not "too pregnant to be out in public and on the bus." I know my presence on the bus wasn't hurting me or my baby. I can't imagine how it was hurting you. And I still had three months to my due date when you whispered that to your husband. Just you wait. I'm gonna get bigger. I PROMISE!

Dear lady on the bus who claims she was going to give the two girls who were (a) pretending to sleep and (b) pretending to study heck for not giving me their seats,

I know that (a) was pretending to sleep because once I sat down she "woke up" and was alert for the rest of the trip and I know that (b) was pretending to study because once I sat down, she stopped studying for the rest of the trip, but if you were going to say something, you should have said something when I got on or offered me your seat if you were that concerned, not eight or ten stops later when I sat down in a vacant seat. I wasn't concerned. If I needed to sit, I would have asked someone to move. I made it ten or so stops plus a bridge without fainting, falling over, banging into anyone etc. And when I did sit down, it was because there was a seat empty and no one in it - I'm pregnant, not an invalid - I could have managed the next six stops no problem too!

To the people who insist on standing in the doorways when there is space in the aisles,

Please move when the bus stops. I am pregnant. My belly is huge. I cannot get through the narrow little space that a three year old could maybe get through. Even if I wasn't pregnant. Six inches just isn't enough space for a grown up body. I'm sorry if I'm disturbing you, but I'd like to get off at my stop, not yours. And if you're on a B-Line, get out of the way so the people can get on...three door boarding and all, you know!

To the bus driver who waited until I got to my seat at the back of the bus,

Thank you! I might not be an invalid, but my balance isn't what it used to be and riding buses when I'm not holding tight to something could be dangerous!

To the people who roll their eyes and groan when someone gets on the bus who might take a little longer to board,

Chill out! You kinda suck...and you never know when a split second event could occur and that person who needs a courtesy seat, a few extra seconds to get to their seat, or who is in a wheelchair could be you. (Go read the last bus rant post and you'll see what I'm talking about - scroll to the end.)

And now the sun is shining and the birds are chirping so I'm going to try not to complain anymore..at least not until it starts to be winter in June rain again.

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! I can't believe someone would say you are too pregnant to be out in public...who are these people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW! Oh well, I hope they do see me on the bus when I'm closer to 40 weeks pregnant! I'll show them...swollen ankles and all!

    PS Where is Korweinguboora? Is it at all close to where you are?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know...I'll have to google it. I've heard of wierd place names around Canberra, but never that one.

    ReplyDelete