Saturday, February 27, 2010

Earthquakes and Tsunamis

As I was leaving work yesterday, I heard there had been a 7.0 earthquake in Japan - that's all I heard and since I'd turned my computer off, I wasn't even sure where in Japan it was.

And then this morning when I got up I heard about the 8.8 earthquake in Chile. And the tsunami warnings for Hawaii and BC.

Scary stuff. I remember the Kobe earthquake in 1995 when I was going to school in Hawaii. We work up to the tsunami sirens - scary stuff. It was eerily quiet on campus too - no birds singing, no dogs barking. The whole day was heavy and horrible, people were on edge, lots of people didn't make it to school and, completely unrelated, a teacher had a massive heart attack, but when the tsunami hit it was tiny and barely noticeable - even if you knew what to look for.

I hope this earthquake turns out for the better - we also have a tsunami warning on the south coast, but we'll hopefully only see a change in currents.

Fingers crossed for my friends and their families in Japan, Chile and Hawaii. I'm thinking of you all...

EDIT: There's now a report of an earthquake in Argentina too. Oh Mother Nature, please be gentle!

No comments:

Post a Comment