Thursday, February 04, 2010

That old excuse: I don’t have time…

This post was originally published at Get Fit Chicks. It may refer to posts on Get Fit Chicks that no longer exist. Please email me if you run into any of those and I will break the links. More information about the reposting is available here

We’ve all said it…and most of the time we know it’s not true.

That whole I’d like to work out but I don’t have time excuse.

Well, now I do have time. To be fair, it wasn’t that I didn’t have time to work out as much or the way I wanted, it was that I had new responsibilities including a toddler who needs dinner, a bath and bed every night after work and then someone to look after her while I went to work out.

My dilemma was this – the way I used to work out didn’t fit into my new schedule because I have a toddler and I have a husband who works an opposite schedule to me, but I had lots of time to work out.

So instead of swimming at lunch (which meant I got to leave my office sooner and see my husband for 45 minutes instead of 15 minutes each night) or stopping by the gym after work, I had a two and half a hour window after 7:00 when I had a sleeping toddler.

But I couldn’t justify the cost of a sitter so I could go to the gym or a class (umm…$8-10 an hour…yeah…) and I didn’t feel like I could impose on the aunties/friends who offer to babysit because I’m pretty darn sure that “I’d love to baby sit for you” means every once in a while not every Tuesday and Thursday night so that mommy can go workout.

So I got a yoga video. I enjoy it. But it’s not the same. I could easily talk myself out of doing it and because there was no set time, well, what can I say, I had a million excuses.

And then someone changed something and things shifted so my opposite schedule husband now works a similar schedule to mine. Which means he doesn’t bolt out the door at 6:30 every night, he hangs out with us instead. It also means that twice this week I’ve been able to go to deep water Aquafit. It’s awesome. I love it. I tried to go at work, but Aquafit on campus is at 10:30 in the morning…who can take an hour and a half out of their working day that early…not me! And I get to go with a friend which makes the motivation factor even higher!

So, provided the work schedule doesn’t change, I’ll be able to go to Aquafit twice a week. Yay! That makes me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment