Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Woohoo – private yoga class!

This post was originally published at Get Fit Chicks. It may refer to posts on Get Fit Chicks that no longer exist. Please email me if you run into any of those and I will break the links. More information about the reposting is available here

My yoga instructor was a bit late for yoga today. Only two of us showed up and the other woman decided she’d go for lunch instead of sticking around for the class. So I had the instructor all to myself!

And I think I’m going to feel it tomorrow. We did a lot of abdominal work – something I need since I really don’t think that part of my body has recovered completely yet from the c-section I had almost two years ago! I have muscle tone there again, but my tummy is lopsided and certainly a little worse for the wear from the incision.

I was a bit apprehensive about having the instructor all to myself. I’ve only ever had a private yoga class once before and it was because no one else showed up and happened to be a day that our instructor was away so I ended up with a sub. It was okay, but I decided I preferred a group setting.

But after today’s class, I would love love love to do private yoga more often – I still really like the group setting because sometimes I feel like I push myself harder because there are others in the room, but today I really felt like the instructor pushed me harder than she normally would.

And that was totally great!

She got me to hold things longer and because it was just me, I knew she watching and when I started to shake or grimace, she’d make me hold just that little bit longer. And I could do it. I didn’t give in to gravity; I had to prove to her that if she pushed me, I could do it!

Since there’s no way I could afford to take private yoga classes regularly, I’m just to have to hope I can tell myself that I did this time, so the next time I should have no problem holding the plank 15 seconds longer or staying in a high lunge for a few more seconds without dropping my knee.

And I feel awesome too! My day had been kind of blah, but that was exactly what I needed to make it way better!

No comments:

Post a Comment