Friday, June 24, 2011

Channa Masala awesomeness

36.32 Try 50 new recipes

I've been meaning to try this recipe that Jenna posted on Eat, Live, Run for AGES. [Go check it out because the picture tutorial is really good!]

It was sooooooo good. It was so quick. Both Alex and J ate it and J asked for seconds. Now, J wasn't going to eat it because "those are yucky beans" but when I told her they are actually called chick peas, she decided they were good. Because, you know, they're like chicken but they're peas but they're not green. Whatever, I'm not entirely sure how an almost 3 year old brain works, but please don't tell her they're also called garbanzo beans.

channa masala

I served it with brown rice, green beans and asparagus. J has developed an aversion to the tops of asparagus (which is okay with me, I like them) so she had just parts of the stem. She figured she had two kinds of asparagus which means she ate the green beans (see above: yucky beans).

I made three tiny modifications - I only put in about 1/8 of tsp of cayenne because I knew if there was more I would be the only one eating it. I used a 28oz can of tomatoes, by accident, but because our beans usually come in 19oz cans, not 15 oz cans, it needed the extra tomato. And there was no jalapeño in it because I didn't have one. I went shopping and forgot to get one so J and I stopped at the veggie store on the way home to pick up blueberries, but they don't carry them. I would definitely add it the next time.

I found that it made more than 4 servings (probably something to do with the extra 13 oz of tomatoes and the extra 8 oz of  beans) so J and I got to take it in our lunch and there is some left for dinner tonight too.

It was good. If J asks for seconds AND asks for it in her lunch, well, then a recipe is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment