Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Bread, Lovely Bread!

36.51, 35.52, 36.53, 36.54, 36.55, and 35.56 Try 50 new recipes


Apparently, if you ask me, I don't like bread. This is true. I don't like bread. Except that maybe it's not quite true. I make a lot of bread. In the not again recipe post, two of the four recipes were bread. I asked for a bread maker (and received it) for my birthday last year. And, the most telling point, all of the following recipes are bread of one kind or another. I think what I don't like is grocery store bread. Homemade bread, I'm good with that.

Lemon Lavender Loaf


I don't usually use mixes when I cook or bake, but this is an exception. I received this as a thank you gift from a cousin who bought it at another cousin's Lavender Farm, but it's also something I would buy for myself without hesitation. Let me tell you though, I got a lot of grief for using a mix when I made it...

lemon lavender loaf

Here's the ingredient list. See, nothing I wouldn't put in a loaf if I was making it from scratch. It's all good.

ingredient

When it's done, you make a lemon glaze and pour it over top and it's finger smacking good. Those people who gave me grief because I used a mix? They loved it too. There wasn't a crumb left when they went home!


Baking Powder Biscuits


I have a baking powder biscuit recipe that I think might be from my grade eight cooking class. It does the job, but it's a bit blah. I went on a search for a better recipe and thankfully I only had to try one to find one that I liked. Canadian Living to the rescue again!

baking powder biscuits

Quite possibly the reason why these are infinitely better than the grade eight cooking class version is because instead of shortening, they have butter, a whole cup of real butter. We don't have these very often because biscuits are best hot out of the oven and we don't each need 1/3 of a cup of butter in our evening meal. Even if it tastes delicious!

Cheese Scones


After the tomato soup hater discovered Jamie Oliver's tomato soup recipe and decided we should live on it (that would be me), we tried a bunch of things with it. Grilled cheese was the perfect companion, but we could only eat so much grilled cheese. We had baking powder biscuits and they were yummy too. Then I made these delicious Good Housekeeping scones. Oh, were they ever yummy. We'll be eating that combination again when the cooler weather returns (I know, June has been horrible, but I feel like I should at least try to eat summery food)

cheese scones

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Swirl Bread

This recipe comes from Jenna at Eat Live Run and it is sooooooo good and soooooo easy.

whole wheat cinnamon swirl bread

I would definitely recommend this recipe if you want to try making bread but you're scared of yeast - it's pretty easy and making the bread isn't time consuming, it's the rising time that makes it seem like bread is so much work. But while it's rising you can just do something else.


I keep meaning to try adding raisins to this and making raisin bread. I think it would be super yummy! I increased the cinnamon a little because I love cinnamon, but otherwise this is a perfect treat! [I blogged about it here but I didn't count it for some reason, probably the messed up brain thing]

Whole Wheat Bread

When I finally got myself sorted out and bought some vital wheat gluten, this is the bread recipe we landed on for our everyday bread.


It's one of the recipes in the book that came with the machine and everyone loves it. It's 100% whole wheat and it has molasses in it so it's a lovely dark colour.


I did discover though that while our machine will make a two pound loaf, I'm better off making a one or one and half pound loaf. The bigger ones get caught under the basket handle. And the bread is fresher if I make three one pound loaves in two weeks than if I make two two pound loaves. And there are fewer bread crumbs for the freezer.

Quick White Loaf

I've only made this a few times. Usually when I have an oh crap there's no bread for tomorrow's lunches moment. The quick white cycle on the bread maker only takes an hour. I need 4 1/2 hours to make a whole wheat loaf (the quick whole wheat loaf is just too dense)


The white loaf is dense too, but not as dense as the quick whole wheat.

Oops...I guess that's seven in one post...I'm not going to count the last one! If you made it this far you must love bread as much as I do!






No comments:

Post a Comment