Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Happy Birthday Twinnies

singing birthday girls

Twenty-five years ago, I woke up in the morning and my parents were standing at the sliding door to the back yard looking at the sky. I knew it was early even though it was light out. My mom had a really big tummy and no lap anymore and I was patiently waiting for my brother and sister who were supposed arrive ten days before. My dad had marked the big day with two happy faces in his diary with tear off corners. Every morning I got to tear the corner off and see how soon my brother and sister should be arriving. I talked to my mom's tummy and lined Fisher Price people up to see which side would kick them off first. The babies talked back to me, that's how I knew I was getting a brother and a sister.

That morning my mom told me I'd been invited to my cousin Melissa's for breakfast and I got to go in my pjs. As strange as that was, I didn't even blink. We drove down Richter in the green Volvo and someone met me at the end of the walk, my mom and dad didn't even come in the house. We had boiled eggs and I only ate the yolks because I insisted the whites were shell. Then we went to the hair dresser and *I* got a phone call there. It was my mom and I had two new sisters. (HEY! What happened to my brother?!?!?) I got to go see them and the nurse scrubbed my dirty hands (I had sand or playdough or something everywhere) and then I got to put on a gown and hold my sisters. The day they came home from the hospital, the new babies bought me a baby of my own named Jean.

I didn't get my brother, but you know, after I went through my just-about-four-years-old angst over two new siblings, recovered from my deafness (yeah right, jealous kid!) and adjusted to my new bedroom, it was all okay. My two new sisters were definitely okay. And now that we're not 3 and 7 or 9 and 13 anymore, they're pretty cool!!!

twin clowns

Happy Birthday Kelsey and Rebecca!!!

5 comments:

  1. awww that was a nice story! I could totally picture you as a little rugrat hee hee. Happy birthday girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, this is nice. thanks shannanny, and all your friends!! for the b-day wishes.

    (your friends who i haven't met must think i'm so weird.)

    birthday birthday birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe...i think even my friends who have met you might think you're weird - i know i often do, but weird in a good way of course!!

    at least you show up to your own birthday party, if you know what i mean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. why isn't it five yet????

    the last few hours have gone by so SLOW! i'm hungry.

    whinge whinge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't met you yet and I don't think you're weird. But then again, it's rather difficult to be weirder than me.

    ReplyDelete