Friday, April 28, 2006

Holy Fools

When I was in London, Chocolat arrived at the Screen on the Hill and so, when Helen, a self-proclaimed chocolate addict, had her birthday, we bought her the book and took her to the movie.

It was a good movie.

It was also a good book.

I can't remember if I read the book first or second, somehow I think in this instance second, although I normally prefer to read the book, then see the movie.

Then I read Blackberry Wine.

Not bad. Kind of cool that there are some of the same characters in both books. Last year I picked up Coastliners in a bargain bin somewhere and seeing as it was Joanne Harris, I thought, hey, I can't go wrong at only $4.00. I liked it, but as I read it, I was slightly annoyed. I'm still not sure at what, but I keep thinking I should go back and reread it and see.

Same thing happened this year. Bargain bin. Joanne Harris book. Yup...annoyed with it. I haven't finished it yet. And it's not that I don't like it, I'm actually quite enjoying it, but I have this slightly annoyed feeling whenever I read it. Sometimes it's with the author, sometimes with the protagonist and sometimes it's just with the book in general. It takes place on the same little island as Coastliners and I'm glad I read Coastliners first because Holy Fools takes place primarily in an abbey, but Coastliners gave a pretty good idea of the island, even if it takes place 350-400 later than Holy Fools.

And all this is contributing to my need to live in France/need to visit Paris obsession. Strange obsession, since whenever I'm actually in Paris, I can't wait to get away!!

6 comments:

  1. hey I didn't know you picked up Holy Fools. I remembered that you had Coastliners (the only one I don't have) and I had the one (couldn't remember the name at the time) that you didn't have. I still haven't got around to reading. Sounds like a good thing since apparently I should read Coastliners first. Just picked up DaVinci though. Thought I should read it before seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey I didn't know you picked up Holy Fools. I remembered that you had Coastliners (the only one I don't have) and I had the one (couldn't remember the name at the time) that you didn't have. I still haven't got around to reading. Sounds like a good thing since apparently I should read Coastliners first. Just picked up DaVinci though. Thought I should read it before seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you knew I was weird a long time ago...

    besides...you're weird too...

    hang on, now I feel like we should be in a playground somewhere with pigtails and bangs and skipping ropes and we should probably end the conversation with...you're not my friend anymore! Neither are you!!

    Okay...I think I just illustrated your point and without meaning to too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't have to read Coastliners first. It has no effect on the story, but I liked that I had a vague idea of what they were talking about - you could read them in either order actually. I think some of the stuff in Holy Fools is actually relevant to Coastliners.

    ReplyDelete