Friday, April 21, 2006

Paperchase

you asked for it Heddy!!!

paperchase

Now you're gonna get it!!!

pretty striped notebooks

In something I wrote yesterday, I mentioned Paperchase...again. Heddy asked "ANYWAY I wanted to ask you about paperchase...I don't know this place...(I can hear your *gasp* from here!) AND I was hoping you could tell me about it!"

lots of butterfly stuff
So here goes...

Look at the pretty pictures...that's some of their pretty stuff that I can't get enough of!

fancy schmancy paper

Paperchase is one of my most favourite stores in the ENTIRE world except for the fact that it's in London and I'm not. Although that's probably good because it means my bank account is relatively intact still! Paperchase is all about paper and pens, two of my most favourite things. It's got bright bold paper and prints and cards and postcards and I really, truly, seriously could spend hours in there just looking, touching and smelling the paper. And picking it up and then putting it back and picking it up again and putting it back again and then finally leaving with more than any person in their right mind could ever use, even if they write two or three letters a day, which I don't. Don't get me wrong, even with my lovely computer and all its abilities to communicate with my various friends and relatives scattered around the world, I still like to write letters and every once in while, I actually get one or two back! That's probably not really fair, because the three or four people I write real letters to semi-regularly also write back...it's the ones who I normally email and then out of the blue I spontaneously (yes, I know, redundant) write them a letter and mail it, but still continue to email them who don't write back. And who can blame them. THEY know I check my email and will eventually reply to it! By the way, paper is heavy. I came home with a suitcase I didn't have when I left. Ask Alex.

pretty planner

ANYWAY...there's some cool stuff...although I can't find a picture of my favourite blocks of writing paper. I picked three up for a grand total of £9.00. And each on has 150 pages. I just finished one and am part way through another from when I lived in England in 2001, so the three new ones will last a long time (by the way, each pad has assorted different colours. I'm not stockpiling plain-white-run-of-the-mill-available-for-purchase-in-Canada paper!).

cool pens

I'm sad sad sad...there are Paperchase outlets in Borders books in the USA...but none here. Even Australia and Singapore have them in some of their Borders. Alex, let's go to Portland or Tacoma just so that I can go to Borders!!!!!!!!

address books

My all time favourite Paperchase is on Tottenham Court Road. It's huge. It's three or four FLOORS of paper and paper products. And there's a coffee shop (it also helped that it was across from EasyEverything). The ones at Charing Cross and Covent Garden are good and I have been known to buy paper at the kiosk in Waterloo Station just before boarding a train for a day trip. Yes, their stuff was worth lugging all over Southern England! The big ones also sell cool stuff. Like picture frames and boxes and other STUFF. I love it!

snazzy scrapbooks

And well, I haven't found anything even remotely similar here in the Great White North. Heddy, I know you'd also LOVE Paperchase...cause really, some days I think you're just a different me. I'll keep looking for a Paperchase equivalent, but I just don't think I'll find one. Hope that answers your questions. Now everyone knows about my (not so) secret infatuation with paper, in particular paper from Paperchase.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a fan! AND yes, it is good that it isn't here since I enjoy paper and pens as well! I can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a cardcarrying member of SAA (stationary addicts anonymous) myself I have to say, if you haven't already discovered it, the stationary section of the downtown Sears (same level as jewellery, in the back corner) has a surprisingly wonderful array of Lovely Things. It's worth it just for the rows and rows of wrapping paper. Not the kind in tubes, but the so-fancy-you-have-to-by-them-by-the-sheet kind. Obviously there's always Paper Ya. I know that neither of these places are as big as Paperchase, but at least it's something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah yes, Sears and Paper Ya, but the just don't quite compare. It's not just the size of Paperchase - the one at Waterloo Station is very hard to walk through its so small and the one at Charing Cross isn't much bigger...it's just one of those things...

    That aside, Heddy, WHY were you at work on Saturday? (Is that a fair assumption???)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh THAT...heh heh

    We're renovating the place next door and I had to monitor the painters and then pick up the key...wasn't there that long, I promise!!

    ReplyDelete