Monday, April 17, 2006

Spreading the Mulvi-love (or is it the Mulvi-hate)

NEWSFLASH: I go to K-town for the weekend and once again I come to the conclusion that I really enjoy my family. Not just my little family, which is often how we refer to the unit that contains Mom, Dad and three sisters, but my family (which is different from the big family because that includes those relatives that are more than once (?) removed)...We grew up with family. My first playmates were related to me. The running joke is that if you meet someone in K-town and they've been there for more than about five minutes, I'm either related to them, or they know someone I'm related to. It's two degrees of small town K-townness that didn't go away when K-town became a small city.

But that's not the point. The point is, that after four days with assorted family, thinking about the trip back to the big city is kind of depressing. We arrived in K-town not quite in time for a party with some of the big family. Sad to have missed everyone, but it sounds like they enjoyed the party for which the guest of honour stayed home. Then it was on to the arena for almost five periods of sometimes great, sometimes exciting, sometimes horrible hockey...at least the Rockets won. Easter dinner was Saturday night this year and there were all kinds of people there who weren't family but who were absorbed into the gathering as if they were family. There were 35+ people there...the youngest was 6, the oldest 81. And even at 35, not everyone was able to come! The house was packed with people. The food was plentiful and delicious, as usual. The noise level just kept going up and up and up. The laughter was pretty much non stop. The night was full of excitement and ended with some at a local coffee house where cousin Devon of the Mulvi-hate was playing, cheered on by some appreciative...you got it...family members!


Tom, Kevin and Devon

We tried to convince him we were spreading Mulvi-love, not Mulvi-hate, but we need to work on that some more. The evening wasn't without its stomach dropping quickly to the ground moments...Bladder Botox conversations can do that. So can Harmony. Harmony walked up to our table and said "Congratulations! Have you heard the news?"

I thought Alex might die, right then and there, when Kelsey got REALLY excited and almost in one breath said:

"YOU'RE GETTING MARRIED! YOU GUYS ARE HAVING A BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

For the record, we're not getting married and we're not having a baby!

Now it's back to the real world, where there isn't so much family...and I know I'm going to miss it. I do every time.

But at least I had a great weekend...and got to be reminded of just why I think my family is so great!

No comments:

Post a Comment