Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Buddying Up

This post was originally published at Get Fit Chicks. It may refer to posts on Get Fit Chicks that no longer exist. Please email me if you run into any of those and I will break the links. More information about the reposting is available here

So, I don’t make resolutions. I said that already. But that’s not entirely true. I do make resolutions. I just don’t make resolutions that are centered around January 1. I make them all year.

Anyway, my friend Melynda and I both decided we needed something to motivate us as we work on our get healthy goals. So we’re checking in with each other twice week on designated days to see how the week is going.
The idea is that we can talk about our progress, our successes, and our frustrations in reaching our “big” goals AND we can set little goals and be accountable for them.

So, if you look at my list of 101 in 1001, there are two big ones I’m working towards:

1. Fit back into pre-tumble down the stairs clothes
and
13. Weigh less on day 1001 than on day 1


But those big goals are only accomplishable (is that a word I just made up?) by reaching other smaller goals.

For instance, last week my goal was just to remember to take my supplements every day. This week my goal is to drink at least 1.5 litres of water while I’m at work.
We decided our goals could be anything we could measure in some way. Last week, both of us needed help remembering to do something, so we sent each other daily reminders to do our little jobs (taking supplements is a lot easier to remember to do when it’s just once a day...I can't wait for the GAPS diet to end!) This week, we checked in with our new goals yesterday, we’ll check in later this week with progress, and next Monday we’ll both have new goals again.

I like this buddy system...I have to be accountable to someone other than me; I can set small, achievable goals; I can set the same goal over and over and over again for a few weeks until I think I've achieved it (or created or broken a habit); I can set more than one goal a week; I get to catch up with a friend in the process. Because, believe me, we're not just talking about our goal...we're both working mommies and we have two year olds and husbands...there’s lots to talk about!
I used to think the only buddy system that worked for me was scheduling real life time to do something with someone...I'd definitely go to the gym as planned if I was meeting someone there. I’d definitely go for a walk if I was walking with someone. But I realized I just need someone to tell about, someone who would support me but also remind me that I said I was going to do yoga today and it's now 11:45 at night...better get yoga-ing for 15 minutes if you want to reach that goal!

Do you have a buddy system? How does yours work? or does it work better for you to not have a buddy??

No comments:

Post a Comment