Monday, February 28, 2011

My three lives of Guiding

Guiding has been a part of my life since I was seven years old. [That's a long time. We'll just leave it at that.] My Guiding involvement has had three distinct lives: The Girl Years, The Nomadic Era, and Now That I'm Really An Adult.

All three of those lives have smushed themselves together and made me who I am today. There were other things that definitely influenced me, like say, my parents and family and teachers. But Guiding has been a huge and positive influence on my life always.

So as promised I will be writing a bit about Guiding - look for posts titled (what else?!) The Girl Years, The Nomadic Era, and Now That I'm Really An Adult over the next few days.

I've also gone and created a quick little glossary of terms and/or links...because, well, I have heard from more than one reader who doesn't know what Guiding is.

Girl Guides of Canada
World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS)
House Assistant (HA) - House Assistant was the title given to volunteers at Pax Lodge when I was there. I believe they're called Resident Volunteers now. When I was there we worked in the kitchen, made beds and cleaned, worked in the office and the shop, and worked with the Programme Manager to deliver programs - games nights, house tours, evening programs for guests, tours etc
World Thinking Day (also known as Thinking Day and WTD)
Sparks
Brownies
Guides
Pathfinders
Rangers
Guider - Adult who leads of the above branches of Guiding
Commissioner - Woman (or women) in charge of a District, Division, Area, Province or in Canada's case, country

1 comment:

  1. I was a Spark and a Brownie! I don't know why I never made it to Guides though...hmmm

    ReplyDelete