Monday, May 22, 2006

long weekend sun and rain

ahhhhh long weekends...

but I'm exhausted even though it was a long weekend...

I took Friday off and caught the ferry to Nanaimo where, in theory, my grandmother, hereafter called Mama, would be eagerly awaiting my arrival. Of course, it was a long weekend and even though it was Friday morning, the ferry was late. Just as the ferry docked, my phone rang. It was buried deep in my bag and I considered ignoring it, but thought, what if it's Mama...and sure enough it was.

The conversation went something like this:

Mama: Where are you?
Me: On the ferry. It just docked. I'll be right out.
Mama: But where are you?
Me: Still on the ferry. It just docked. As soon as they let us off, I'll be out.
Mama: But where are you?
Me: shaking my head, ready to once again say, ON THE FERRY
Mama: Are you in Nanaimo or Victoria?
Me: Nanaimo, where are you? hoping she's in Nanaimo
Mama: Oh good. I'm in Nanaimo too. I'm right outside the ticket window, across the street and to the right. My car is champagne. Not gold, champagne. See you in a minute. click

So, I'm thinking, is this how the weekend is going to go? I just talked to her yesterday and we set up the pick up time and everything. Well, it turns out that driving to the ferry, Mama thought, oh no, she's coming in to Victoria and I'm going to Nanaimo. So she pulled off the freeway and thought about it and thought about the time I said I was leaving and when I'd get in and decided, yes, I was going to Nanaimo.

Then the ferry was late. That's when she decided she was wrong and I was really going to Victoria. And she started to panic. So she thought she'd call my cell and see where I really was going. But her address book wasn't updated and didn't have my cell number. She figures the address book is so out of date, it doesn't have my phone number either.

So her thought pattern went a little like this:

Hmmm...well, if I don't have the cell number, I'll call Shannon's mom and get it. Hmmmm...Shannon's mom isn't home. I'll call her aunt at work and get it and if she doesn't have it, I'll make her aunt call her dad and get it from him and call me back.

So...my aunt had my number and Mama managed to reach me and relax.

But not before she left a crazy message that went something like this on my mom's answering machine:

Hello, are you there? are you there? are you there? If you're there pick up the phone. Pick up the phone. PICK UP THE PHONE! HELLO? HELLO?

So of course, my mom comes home and wonders WHAT is going on. She calls Mama who has a car phone which only works when the car is turned on. So she calls me and my phone is conveniently locked in the trunk and we're in the Tim Hortons parking lot asking some poor man how to find the Cadillac dealership so that we can get the broken buttons looked at. So Mama opens the trunk for me, then gets in the car, turns it on, and puts it in gear which automatically locks the door. And because the buttons are broken, she has to turn the car off and use the remote to let me in.

AAAAAAaaaaaaHHHHHhhhhhh drama. In the end, the broken buttons just have a short and the necessary piece is somewhere in Ontario and won't arrive until Wednesday, but for now, whacking it with the cane seems to fix the short, so off we go to Cobble Hill.

That was the beginning of my weekend...nothing quite so entertaining happened the rest of the weekend, but it was quite the start to the weekend! I had a very interesting visit with Mama, learned some interesting stuff about when they moved to Vancouver and when they moved to Kelowna and how she first met my grandfather. We watched some of Mama's tapes and read a book called Emotional Blackmail.

The good news is, the insomnia is gone. I don't feel like I did too much, but I'm exhausted.

Maybe that's a good sign.

Oh yeah...and it was sunny on Friday and drizzled a lot on Saturday and rained a lot yesterday and today.

Happy Victoria Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment