Thursday, September 16, 2010

36.1 Try 50 new recipes - Lemon Ricotta Hotcakes

Here we go - I'm on my way to completing my 101 things in 1001 days.

First up, a new recipe (that's 1 down, 49 to go to get number 36 crossed off my list...ugh...when I put it that way...)

So, last night was supposed to be pancake dinner night. But I wanted something hot and savory and not pancakes. So we had pasta.

Tonight the pancakes happened.

But instead of making regular dump-everything-in-one-bowl-without-measuring pancakes, I decided to make Lemon Ricotta Hotcakes from the Rebar cookbook. My dad and my aunt have made them many times for me (and usually a table full of other hungry people), but I decided it was time to try them myself. It helped that there were two recipes on last week's menu that didn't get made, so I actually had lemons and ricotta in my fridge (they're not staples in our house) and they needed to get used up.

what's for dinner
I also made raspberry sauce to go with them, but I've been making that since I was, oh, eight, and I know the recipe by heart, so it doesn't even come close to counting. But oh, is it good!

lemon juice
My little supervisor "helped" me from the other side of the gate (our kitchen is too small and unsafe for a small person to actually help when the stove or oven is turned on. See item number 48 for a partial solution) and wanted to touch or taste everything I put in them.

lemon sucking child
Check out the look on her face. She's on her second half of lemon. Every single taste she took of the lemon made her face look like that, but she continued on.

egg whites
Stiff peaks? Maybe. My toddler decided today was the day that the mixer was her worst enemy and spent the whole two minutes it was on screaming. SCREAMING. Arggg...

cooking pancakes
I finally got them on the grill....

steaming hot pancakes
MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........so good. Look at the steam coming off them...I think J (who had stopped screaming by then) had four or maybe five!

Success! I'll make these again...

No comments:

Post a Comment