Friday, September 24, 2010

Part Three: Up – A tale of 3 pregnancies and weightloss…err…gain.

This post was originally published at Get Fit Chicks. It may refer to posts on Get Fit Chicks that no longer exist. Please email me if you run into any of those and I will break the links. More information about the reposting is available here

Another installment from Melynda:

The transition from one to two went so much easier than I ever could have imagined. Zoe was an easy baby and she slept well too. About the beginning of February I began itching to figure out some kind of exercise and diet plan. I had ‘graduated’ from my breastfeeding doctor, Zoe was gaining well and my supply was doing great, especially since I was nursing two! The doctor had said I could slowly wean off of the medication if I wanted to but I was too scared and I enjoyed the peace of mind it gave me. I think the reason the transition from one to two went so well is that I wasn’t stressed out like I was with Ally.

One night I was sitting and thinking about exercise and I decided I wanted something big to focus on. I wanted it to be exercise and not weight related. I wanted to accomplish something and weight was a bit unreliable. I decided to walk a half marathon. Mike and my mom had done a couple half marathons and I knew that it took about 16 weeks to train. I counted the weeks until the Calgary Marathon which was at the end of May. I had about 18, if I recall correctly. So I established a walking plan with weekly or biweekly motivators. I find treating myself really keeps me on track and having a short term goal helps me to get through the work out. My plan had me walking a certain time or distance about 5 days a week.

Now you may ask how did I do this with a toddler and a 2 month old? Mike was incredibly supportive and would take Ally when I needed to walk. It was also winter time so I did most of my walks inside on my treadmill and if it was nice I would go outside. I don’t know how safe this is but for most of my walks I would carry Zoe in a carrier. She loved it and would usually sleep the whole time. I carried her for most of my walks up to about May it got a bit harder because my walks were longer and she was 5 months old and didn’t want to be contained for too long. I bought a jogging stroller and I started taking both kids for my walks. I would try and plan my route with Mike beforehand and I would leave just near the end of his work day so he could meet us at the half way mark and take the girls.

I did the marathon and I was so proud of myself! I had done it and stuck to the goal the whole time. I actually loved the training more than the marathon. The marathon is hard work! I was a bit annoyed near the end that I didn’t lose any weight but on the other hand I didn’t gain any.

Unfortunately around the time of the marathon we decided to move. Having two kids and keep a house show ready was incredibly difficult and something had to go. Unfortunately it was my exercise routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment