Thursday, September 30, 2010

Part Four: Up – A tale of 3 pregnancies and weightloss…err…gain.

This post was originally published at Get Fit Chicks. It may refer to posts on Get Fit Chicks that no longer exist. Please email me if you run into any of those and I will break the links. More information about the reposting is available here

The conclusion (for now) of Melynda’s story:

The rest of 2009 was a wash when it came to diet and exercise. I tried Weight Watchers again but not long enough to see any results. The move had gone well and we are living in the perfect house. The fall was extremely stressful for me and probably the hardest time ever for me. I had an ectopic miscarriage and the recovery took a couple months.

In January I got pregnant again! I was incredibly sick this time around and I lost about 5 lbs in the beginning. I started the pregnancy at about 205. This being my third pregnancy I knew that I needed to work on eating and exercising. I honestly did not have the energy or desire for healthy food until close to 16 weeks. I could barely cook for myself let alone the girls and Mike. So I ate out a lot and just tried to get some food in to me because if I didn’t eat I would feel even worse.

I kept thinking about exercising and eating better and I would go in waves of doing well. I started to gain weight about 20 weeks it was slow but I knew I needed to crack down. I wasn’t exercising and I knew that I needed some muscles for birth. At my 24 week appt, my midwife and I were talking about my weight gain and she was so impressed with me. She told me that I had started at 199lbs and I was at 208. I hadn’t realized that they counted my weight from the lowest point and not my beginning weight. I didn’t like that I had actually gained 9 lbs instead of 3lbs! That is when I decided now was the time to start exercising and eating well. I consulted another friend who was counting calories while pregnant and I decided to do the same. I also set a goal that I would exercise a minimum of 20 minutes a day with hopefully much more. It almost feels lame to say just 20 minutes but I really wasn’t doing anything and I console myself by saying 20 minutes is more than nothing. I am aware that the third trimester is weeks away and I need to have a manageable goal or I will just give up.

I am currently 27 weeks and I have kept my weight down and I am about 209 lbs. I have been working out with my WII because it has some good strength training exercises and I am walking more. I am also eating about 1900-2500 calories a day. I am focusing on eating when I am hungry and if I eat more calories it isn’t a big deal because I am growing a baby. I just try to make really good choices when I go over the calorie mark. I have been finding that in the evenings I really want to snack so my rule is I have to drink a litre of water before I can eat. That sounds like a lot but I am trying to drink about 3 litres of water a day and for some reason it is easier to drink the water in the evenings than during the day.

*Melynda wrote this a few months ago…the next update we get from her will be announcing the arrival of baby number three!

No comments:

Post a Comment