Monday, July 11, 2011

Clear out the fridge

As I stood in front of the open fridge contemplating dinner last night (our dinner plans fell through and because we had a fridge full of leftovers all week, I didn't pick up the ingredients for the channa masala) I wondered yet again how it was possible to have a fridge FULL of food, yet have nothing to actually eat.




We're off for a few days at the end of the week, so I dug through the fridge to see what we had that needed to be used up...unfortunately as I dug around, I discovered that for some reason the fridge was freezing stuff (even if it wasn't touching the side of the fridge) and I had to toss out a quarter of a watermelon and almost a full box of salad. There were a few half frozen strawberries, so we had strawberry smoothies this morning. And there was some partly frozen celery and peppers. I cleaned and chopped those and tossed them in the freezer to be made into soup some time in the future.

There was also most of a roasted chicken and some sad looking tortillas. So we had chicken quesadillas for dinner and I made some stock to go with those sadly frozen vegetables. I hate throwing away food. I'm glad we have the option to compost these days, but it still bugs me to think of how much money went out in the bin this morning. I also had to toss a bunch of food from the party that we just didn't get through last week and was no longer good :(

This week's menu (made mostly from the fridge/freezer and hot weather friendly(ish) in case tomorrow's rain doesn't come)

Monday: Leftover roast chicken with coleslaw, bread, cheese and pickles (for miss J)

Tuesday: Asparagus Frittata (one of the few vegetables to survive the great freeze)

Wednesday: Pita Tacos

Thursday: Finger food potluck at the daycare (hopefully some of my leftovers can be turned into finger food)

Friday: AWAY!!

Saturday: Still away

Sunday: Away some more

Looking for menu ideas? Check out I'm an Organizing Junkie today!

3 comments:

  1. I've been having the same freezing problem the last couple of weeks. Do you think the fridge on the fritz or just too full?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping it's just because it was too full (and it was FULL) - we just got a new fridge in March, so it shouldn't be the fridge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luckily I never experienced unwanted frozen foord, though I have to confess I too often forget about food in my fridge (shame, shame)... Nice to see how you still manage to make the best out of it!!

    ReplyDelete