Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Quick, what's that number....

I learned something on Monday night. Something that I thought was a bit strange at the time, but really, it makes sense when I think about it.

I don't know how to get a hold of Alex when he's at work.

Well, that's not true. I do. But I need a cell phone to do it. Dang modern technology makes life tough sometimes.

And we didn't have a cell phone with us. We were not far from my house and why would we have a phone?

Georgia had no problem finding a phone to call 911. There were lots of people walking along the seawall and many of them had phones with them.

But I had no idea how to get a hold of Alex.

And do you think there was a phone book anywhere?

We solved the problem - Georgia had to call Kelsey anyway (and thank goodness I remembered HER number) so Kelsey got in touch with Alex.

And why do I not know my husband's work number? Well, in his line of work it's not really appropriate for me to call him while he's working or for him to have his cell phone on. I do know how to reach him if necessary, but apparently I can only do it with my phone and its address book or a piece of paper in hand.

I'm spending the next few days memorizing Alex's work number...and if you can't recite your emergency contact(s)'s phone number right now, off the top of your head, I highly recommend spending a few minutes burning those numbers into your brain. Hopefully you won't need them, but if you do, you'll be glad you took the time to learn them!

3 comments:

  1. um, why did you need to call 911?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I'm reading it now - ..scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how reliant we've become on technology for important information. I still remember phone numbers to my friend's homes when we were in high school but I can't tell you the number I text them on 28 times in one day.

    ReplyDelete