Thursday, May 05, 2011

Clutter be gone

So it's no secret on this blog that I'm trying to get rid of all the clutter that is taking over our home...there are good days and bad days, productive weeks and unproductive weeks, but slowly but surely we are getting there. There being to a place where drawers close easily, where contents don't come flying out of closets when they are opened, where we only have enough of one item for our needs (ie we don't need three cheese graters, but we do need three cutting boards), where you could show up at our door RIGHT now and I'd be happy to let you in, not mentally ticking off all the things that should be tidied or put away.

We are getting there.

So it was timely that as I was munching on my coleslaw today at lunch, I happened across an article in the Globe and Mail about how much our clutter costs us. It made sense! We do not need to store junk in our place....They linked to a clutter assessment and I wandered over to take it, but I was a little scared of what it would tell me.

Not so bad. Apparently I'm a clutter victim.
Your total score is: 7.

Good news. You're a clutter victim. This may not sound like good news, but it means that you, like so many others, have fallen victim to the clutter buildup that's hard to avoid when you have a busy life, diverse interests, disposable income, family memorabilia and a steady influx of purchases and junk mail. Not to worry. With a reasonable amount of effort, you'll be able to get your clutter issues under control and keep them that way.
So there is hope for me and all the work I've been putting into our place since Christmas is going to pay off. I just wish there was a way to speed up the process (quitting my job would help, but there's that issue of needing to pay the bills and buy groceries)

4 comments:

  1. Clean as you go!! Thats what I learnt as a young waitress and I apply it to everything in my life now :) Whatever it is be it kitchen mess, a drawer full of winter clothes, a bunch of weeds that have sprouted over night, a shelf of rubbish...when you see it sort it!! It could also be a minor case of OCD though lol.
    By the sounds of things your getting there though and you should maybe remember where you were 6 months ago and think how much you HAVE managed to get done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clean as you go!! Thats what I learnt as a young waitress and I apply it to everything in my life now :) Whatever it is be it kitchen mess, a drawer full of winter clothes, a bunch of weeds that have sprouted over night, a shelf of rubbish...when you see it sort it!! It could also be a minor case of OCD though lol.
    By the sounds of things your getting there though and you should maybe remember where you were 6 months ago and think how much you HAVE managed to get done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a clutter victim too! But some of the questions didn't apply so I think it was a trap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @wonderfullyflo - thanks for the encouragement! I know I can do - I lived in a well organized tiny home before we had wedding (and wedding gift)+eviction+2 moves+home purchase+early baby all in the space of a year...I just need to get on top of it! And you're right, clean/tidy as you go is the best way to do it!

    @heddy - yeah, some of those questions were trick questions ;)

    ReplyDelete