Monday, May 02, 2011

A(n extra long) weekend for the history books

We didn't get up to watch the Royal Wedding. I just couldn't drag myself out of bed at 2:00...I have seen it more than enough times now though...my favourite parts? When Harry whispers "Wait until you see her," when William tells Catherine "You look beautiful," and when Catherine asks William "Are you happy?" when they get in the carriage. What would we have done without the lip readers?!?!

astonmartin
I also loved her dress and the Aston Martin with the "L" on the front of it (L for love perhaps?).

balcony kiss
Oh, and the little girl covering her ears? Priceless!

Yes, the Royal Wedding was spectacular.

obamamay12011
And then there was Obama's big announcement last night about Osama bin Laden. A friend posted this Martin Luther King, Jr. quote on Facebook and I think it's so appropriate!
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
I also saw someone on twitter who's son said something about celebrating that you're alive, not that someone else died (sorry, I can't remember who or when or I'd link)...smart kid!

electionscanada
And then there's tonight. Are we going to make history as Canadians and vote in the same government a third time? Or are we going to make history and vote in a new government? A majority? Maybe we'll just make history because we have a high voter turn out...go vote if you haven't - there are still just over two hours left in BC...

3 comments:

  1. Gah now I want to watch the wedding! All I saw was them leave the church, and of course I saw the balcony scene.

    I was told the L on the front of the car meant "learner" -- like a student driver. It was apparently a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - it means learner - we have them here too - L for learner, N for new driver and eventually you get a grown up license and no letter on your car!

    I watched way too much wedding coverage...WAY TOO MUCH...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes its for learner...very cute!
    And I'm in total agreeance with the Martin Luthar king quote...I was quite horrified when I saw the news clippings of Times Square and people chanting...it reminded me of how the angry crowds of people react in the middle east when the USA does something to them...His death is closure for all the people who lost their lives in 9/11, the Madrid bombings, the July underground massacre in London and all the other acts of terror that have gone on the world but I doubt it will have much effect in the long term for every Bin Laden dead there will be 20 more ready to take his place :(
    Aslong as theres people against democracy in the eastern world the reign of terror will live on!

    ReplyDelete