Sunday, June 18, 2006

my Dad's day...

Father's Day...and I was even early with my Dad's card after the late fiasco of Mother's Day.

My Dad is in Denmark (or maybe Norway or Sweden, I'm not entirely sure when their itinerary took them out of Denmark) and so I don't even get to call him to wish him a Happy Father's Day. But he got his gift before he left so that he'd have something to entertain him on the long plane and train rides.

Just like my Mom knows everything, I think my Dad knows everything too. Amazing how parents can be so incredibly knowledgeable! I remember as a kid, my Dad was the one who got up to make us breakfast on the weekends...he had a delicious repertoire that included pancakes, oven pancakes, waffles, french toast, fruit sauce, fresh fruit, eggs, and in more recent years cinnamon buns and special coffee. One Father's Day, my Mom got up and made pancakes and fruit for breakfast and my sisters and I stood and stared at her...seems we didn't think our Mom (who knows everything) knew how to make breakfast!

We were lucky kids...our Dad was self-employed and that meant he was often able to attend school concerts, soccer games and field hockey games, pick us up after school, piano lessons or Brownies and generally got to hang out with us a lot more than some of our friends' dads. But, being self-employed also meant he would come home and eat dinner with us and three or four nights a week (and some Saturdays in January and February) he would have to go back to work. I think I was about 13 or 14 before I realized that a lot of dads came home from work and stay home...but those same dads didn't get to go to many games or concerts because they were during work time...yeah...we have a special Dad...I could do on and on about my special parents, but I'm not going to...not today anyway!

Happy Father's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment