Saturday, April 02, 2011

Yoga for a year

This post was originally published at Get Fit Chicks. It may refer to posts on Get Fit Chicks that no longer exist. Please email me if you run into any of those and I will break the links. More information about the reposting is available here

I’ve been doing yoga twice a week (in theory) for an entire year now. I can’t believe how much I enjoy it. When I started, I hate downward dog. Poses where I had to hang my head upside down were not something I enjoyed…at all. Now I can hang out in downward dog for ages!

My goal a year ago was to try to do yoga twice a week and to hold a plank for at least 30 seconds. Most weeks I meet my goal…as long as my kid isn’t sick. And I can hold a high plank for 60 seconds.

I can’t believe the difference yoga makes! I missed a few weeks of yoga because of my sick kid and when I went back, I immediately noticed a difference in my attitude and how I felt about everything. My patience grew. I felt more relaxed and more productive. I have finally found a video I like so that I can do yoga at home but I find when my week gets busy with a sick kid and/or catching up at work because of the sick days, I don’t manage to get it done on my own either.

I’m very glad my colleague talked me into joining yoga last year. My boss is hugely supportive of me running off to yoga twice a week – I have missed the occasional class to catch up either on some work or meetings, but most days she encourages me to go. Amazing what happens when you try something new…you might actually enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment