Tuesday, October 05, 2010

36.5 Try 50 new recipes - Turkey Sloppy Joes

Oh Martha, you've done it again! These Turkey Sloppy Joes were soooooo good! I think Alex had about 350 helpings!

Immediately though, I did something that I don't like doing the first time I make a new recipe. Can you spot it in this picture? (PS YAY for remembering to bring the good camera home and not having to use the cell phone)

the goodsYeah, I used chicken. Maybe it's because it's Thanksgiving this weekend, but neither of the two grocery stores I usually shop at had ground turkey this week. So I substituted ground chicken thighs. And it was fine. I also missed the part where it says crushed tomatoes. Luckily I have a stash of canned goods for when the world ends. And while I didn't have crushed tomatoes, with a hand blender, a can of whole tomatoes can very quickly become crushed tomatoes.

These sloppy joes have a secret ingredient that totally ups the veggie content. Grated carrots.

secret ingredientPretty orange, grated carrots.

turkey sloppy joesTasty, delicious sloppy joe! Can barely taste the carrots. And they were a hit. At least with two of us. J had already gone to bed. She didn't manage to eat her lunch or sleep at nap time at daycare, so she was exhausted and cranky. I got her in the door, got a peanut butter sandwich and an orange in her tummy, we skipped the bath, called Daddy at work to say goodnight, read two stories, and she was sound asleep before I finished singing song number two.

I sent some in her lunch today, so we'll see how it goes over. Daycare lunch consumption is not a gauge for whether or not she actually likes something. My leftovers were yummy though.

1 comment:

  1. OOOooh...toddler update! When I picked J up from daycare, the lady who sat with her at lunch said she devoured her sloppy joe. I packed the bun in a separate container, but K asked J if it should go on top (guessing it was a sloppy joe) and J quite enthusiastically told her that was HOW IT IS DONE...K got a good laugh when I told her J had actually never had it before because she was asleep at dinner time the night before.

    People with toddlers - make this. It's good!

    ReplyDelete