Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Crazy tweaking time

This post was originally published at Get Fit Chicks. It may refer to posts on Get Fit Chicks that no longer exist. Please email me if you run into any of those and I will break the links. More information about the reposting is available here

So, a week and a half into the crazy diet and it’s time to tweak it.

It’s been a lot harder than I expected, mostly because of the things I couldn’t control – meetings. There’s also been the fact that I’m cooking for myself, but I’m also the cook for the rest of the family. And the not-enough-carb headaches.

So.

I did what I could at the meetings. One was in a restaurant, so I checked out the menu before I got there and figured out what fit or was a close fit with the diet. That was easier than the day I had to attend a lunch meeting and pretty much the entire menu was off the list.

My family is pretty happy to eat whatever I feed them, but my kid, who never really asks for anything, has been demanding “ma-co-neeeeeeee” for the last few days. Last night I gave in and made macaroni and cheese for her and her dad to have tonight – I’ve got a meeting, so I’ll grab something small when we get home after work and then grab some soup or a salad when I get home. I don’t like to keep things like cheese or chocolate or bananas in the house while I’m trying to get back into the regular routine of eating with the crazy diet in mind, but J’s been insistent. I find that I need a few weeks of eating the way I should before I’m able to look in the fridge and go, oh, I’m hungry, but I don’t want that…

And then there were the not-enough-carb headaches. This was something I should have thought of and just not done this time. Taking wheat out just makes me more aware when it’s back in about eating things like bread. But I need a good serving of carbs at every meal or I end up with a migraine. Carbs like rice, potatoes, bread, oatmeal. I’m not a fan of potatoes which left me with rice (oatmeal was out because I refuse to cook twice for one meal – we make our oatmeal with milk and J won’t eat it if I make it with water anymore). And I can only eat so much rice. So wheat is back a week early. In small quantities. Like a slice of bread with my soup. And that’s pretty much it.

But it’s made a HUGE difference for my head. Because who can function when their head is exploding, stomach is doing back flips, and light and sound are enough to make you want to scream or hide under the desk or both?

So, week two is much smoother than week one…phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment